Saturday, February 1, 2014

Feb 01 : "Guitar Pickn' On You" - The Mystery Lights (New York / Salinas)

Was looking for music to hear Wednesday night after work and I was happy to see that The Mystery Lights, which I had heard once before, was doing a show in Williamsburg, at Baby's All Right.

It had been a year and a half since I had heard them play at Mercury Lounge. I had liked them then and had made a note that I should keep my eye open for more of their shows.

Their show Wednesday night was phenomenal. I enjoyed every minute of it.

The show Wednesday night was much wilder and the audience was more hyped up than at that summer night at Mercury Lounge in 2012. Very high energy all around.

I noticed some changes in the music as well. The structure of the songs on Wednesday night seemed to be a little looser and the form a little more free-flowing than in 2012. Since I've only heard them the two times, I don't know if that's a stylistic shift or just night-to-night random differences.

The Mystery Lights' song that I like the most is "Guitar Pickn' On You", the recording of which, written a couple years ago, is a little tighter. And, yes, they did play it in the middle of the show Wednesday night. Here it is :::




The sound was excellent at Baby's All Right, as good as if not better than at the Mercury show; Wednesday night was all around a good show. My only regret was that the train schedule kept me from hearing the other bands playing afterwards.

Here is the click to The Mystery Lights' Bandcamp page ::: The Mystery Lights on Bandcamp (CLICK HERE)



====================================================

Dec 8, 2016 ::: UPDATE UPDATE ::: The band evidently took down that old arrangement. They've come up with lots of new music as well as new arrangements of some of their standards. Check out some more recent music and comments here



No comments:

Post a Comment