Thursday, October 27, 2011

Oct 27 : EXPLODING WORLD - THE INTERVIEW

AND THE WINNER IS ...


And the winner is Willow Grove band "Exploding World" which just came out with a new album, "Pasts". The band was also the winner of The Deli Magazine's Featured Artist Poll.


I first heard Exploding World play an outdoor show on a hot summer night at Little Berlin over a year ago. At that time Exploding World consisted of David Saylor, and David Saylor only.... He played all the parts, all the instruments. What intrigued me was that he didn't have some of the parts pre-recorded and then play along with them at the live show, but he somehow managed to play a few instruments simultaneously IN REAL TIME! YIKES!


I got his first ep and then heard Exploding World again this past year when they (he) played indoors at M Room.


But now Exploding World has just come out with a new album, "Pasts". And now the band has also expanded to additional members! While I have not yet seen the "enlarged" Exploding World, I was curious about why the expansion. ... So I asked David :::


(Bob)In enlarging "Exploding World", what made you want to expand?

(David)As a solo act I felt like I was limiting myself by only using as many instruments as I could play at once. I still do everything that I did when I was by myself, playing keyboards and drums at the same time, now I just have a full band on top of that. It gives the songs alot more possibilities. I think it gives the music a nicer texture then the completely stripped down minimal stuff I used to do. Before, I would come up with somthing that I liked, but there were only so many options to go with cause of the kind of act I was doing. Now the options are pretty limitless.


(Bob)How did you pick the band members? Had you known them for a long time, or just met them recently?

(David)I've known John since middle school and I've known Brandon since elementary school. The three of us have played in a bunch of different bands together since high school. Me and Jen have been dating for almost 2 years now, this is her first serious band, but she has a great sence of melody.


(Bob) What was the inspiration behind the new album?

(David) As far as the music, I am really into Brainiac, they've had a big influence on me. Also bands who use keyboards like The Screamers and Devo. We use keyboards and synths as a primary instrument, but it's misleading to say were are an electronic band cause we never use samples. As of right now we don't even use effect pedals. I don't know what to call this band. I just wanted to do something really unconventional, but also showing an appreciation and understanding of tradition and what came before us.


(Bob)Who writes the songs for the new band? Do you do all the writing, or is it a group effort?

(David)As far as the lyrics, I didn't go into it trying to write a "concept" record, but it just kinda turned out that way. It's about walking into a dreamscape. Like walking thro the doors into the surreal. Where all your impulses and compulsions are completely unmanageable. In Duck Messiah the character arrives into the dream. In Strange Enough he realizes the reality of the situation. In Drunk Rabbit Foot he surrenders to it. And in Highway Grave he reflects before he expires. It's a concept I've been toying with for a while now. It's alot of experiences, my own and others, wrapped in to one experience. Hence the title "Pasts." its kind of like multiple past lives living one story. I guess it's not as deep as it sounds though.


To listen to some of Exploding World's earlier work (when it was a solo effort), check out the band's Myspace page ::: Exploding World on Myspace, earlier music (CLICK HERE)


And to listen to the new album, "Pasts", and even download it at Bandcamp, click here ::: Exploding World on Bandcamp, 2011 Music (CLICK HERE)


And here's the link to the article in The Deli Magazine ::: Exploding World / Deli Magazine (CLICK HERE)


Exploding World is going to be playing TONIGHT at The Fire. They're listed on the venue website as playing third. They're worth checking out!

No comments:

Post a Comment