Thursday, March 26, 2015

Mar 26 : Jackie Paper, Seismic Thrust, Whitewash, Mumblr

March 20, What a Day! What a Night! I had worked up in North Jersey and was planning on getting back to Philly in time to see Jackie Paper and Seismic Thrust do a show together at Everybody Hits. I've seen both bands before and like them a lot and didn't want to miss this opportunity to see them both play together, especially when I didn't have work the next morning.

But sometimes the best-made plans don't work out exactly as envisioned. It turned out Friday we had that freak snowstorm, which partially messed me up. Missed one bus, the next didn't show, and the next was late so I missed my train. The next train got stuck for over an hour at New Brunswick due to someone on the train ahead of us having a medical emergency and their having to get ems. (I was wondering why it was taking so long since major medical facilities are only a block from the station.) And then, of course, we missed the train to Philly out of Trenton.

I wound up getting to Everybody Hits very late, after both Seismic Thrust and Jackie Paper had played, so I had to ask for updates on what the bands had played.

Zach from Philly band Seismic Thrust says they're working on a new album and played songs that will appear on that. Here is "Jean Jacket", one of the band's newer songs. Not sure if this is going to be on the new album.




Seismic Thrust has another show coming up on April 20 at Bourbon and Branch. Here is the click to the band's Soundcloud page ::: Seismic Thrust on Soundcloud (CLICK HERE)



================================================

I also got a chance to talk with Michelle from Jackie Paper. She gave me one of their new albums which is a compilation of work they've done over the years. The album is available in either cd or cassette format. Here is "Into Oblivion", one of their newer works.




Jackie Paper has one concert coming up, which would be on April 10, at The Petting Zoo, (a new diy location?). Here is the link to Jackie Paper's Facebook page ::: Jackie Paper on Facebook (CLICK HERE)



==================================================

While I had missed my two favorites that I had seen before, I arrived just in time to see New York band Whitewash do their show. In checking around for music each week, I had come across Whitewash a few times and was interested in seeing them, but the scheduling never seemed to work out. So this was a great opportunity. Here is "No Sunglasses", a song posted on their page about a year ago.




Whitewash has two shows coming up soon. The first is on April 2 at Nola, Darling, and the second is April 20 at Palisades. To visit Whitewash on Soundcloud, here is the click ::: Whitewash on Soundcloud (CLICK HERE)



==================================================

The last band to play and the headliner of the evening was Philly "fuzz-punk" band Mumblr. They've also done a number of shows that I never got to see. Here is their song "Philadelphia", from their newly-released album, "Full of Snakes" :::




Mumblr doesn't have any other shows coming up in our area right now, but they do have a show in DC at Above the Bayou on April 10. To visit Mumblr on Bandcamp, where you can hear their music and see their raw and powerful lyrics printed out, the click is here ::: Mumblr on Bandcamp (CLICK HERE)






===================================================

Both Mumblr and Whitewash did good shows; I know I'm going to go back to hear both of them again. My rotten Friday turned out well in the end! And I really liked "Everybody Hits" as a venue. It was my first time there. It's actually "batting cages" that doubles up as a diy venue from time to time in the evening. Open room, high ceilings, great acoustics. If any band you like lists a show there, GO!



No comments:

Post a Comment