Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Jun 28 : Gold Sounds Pink Mexico ?

Earlier this month after work one night I stopped off at Gold Sounds, a new venue in Bushwick. (They've only been open a few months.) A nice place, friendly bartender ("Chris", if I remember), who has friends in West Philly along one of the green lines, and good drinks (He was "inventing" a new drink to feature as a special and I got to be one of the lucky test subjects).

And the venue has quite good sound.

The night I visited was not going to be an all-nighter, but I was just staying out to see however much music I could squeeze in til the 10:38p / last cheap NJTransit / SEPTA connection back home.

The night didn't go exactly as planned because the bands arrived late. First in the lineup was supposed to be the band "Pink Mexico". But the outfit turned out to be a solo act. Was this actually Pink Mexico? It didn't sound like either Pink Mexico or any of the web music of the other acts that were scheduled in the lineup that night. However, I REALLY liked this artist's sound. He was talented and quite creative. I might have liked to have seen him perform again. The only problem was that he never bothered to tell the audience who he was. WHOA! That's weird. ... My musician friends tell me how hard it is to sometimes land gigs, so why on earth would you play at a good venue and not tell people who you are? Are you thinking that only people who've previously heard you and know you count? And, any listener new, well, they'll have to go and like some other band because you're a secret agent band whose identity is on a need-to-know basis? This happens from time to time and it's so weird and so incomprehensible.

The next act to play also didn't bother to identify themselves at least by the second song, which was when I wound up having to leave for Njt. (It might actually have been Pink Mexico, but I can't be sure.).

So, in short, it wasn't a bad night. Good drinks, good conversation, nice venue, great sound, great music, .... except I didn't know who was playing. ... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment