Sunday, June 24, 2018

Jun 24 : "Twelve Seventy-Three" - Five Pound Snap (Detroit)

I fell in love with the chords right away, and listening to the online samples was what propelled me to do an after-work trip to Trans-Pecos a few weeks ago. The band is Five Pound Snap. They're Space-Groove, and they're from Detroit. When I saw them on May 24, they were finishing up a tour that took them through the East Coast, South, and Midwest.

This was my first trip to Trans-Pecos, actually the first time I crossed the border from Brooklyn into Queens (Ridgewood) to hear music. I like all the windows and the skylights at this venue. The closest to an outdoor concert while still being inside, and still maintaining the industrial vibe! The concert with four bands began when it was still daylight, with light pouring in from all sides. As the evening progressed and the natural light began to fade, they gradually upped the lights inside. A nice effect; I liked this. This was one of those situations where the band and venue were a perfect match. A good evening.

It's usually the instrumentals and melodic lines that first attract me to any particular music. And that was certainly the case here. When I started listening to "Convex Hollow", the first track on the band's 2017 album, "White Birch Lakes", the chords at the beginning of the song grabbed me, and, by the time I listened to the whole album, I knew my visit to see them would be a sure thing. Good chord action with lots of interesting progressions. Wow!

However, as much as I first liked "Convex Hollow", I'm highlighting the album's second song in this writeup. It's "Twelve Seventy-Three". I've seen in some of their songs how the band switches over between different tempos and different textures, a little jumpy or choppy at times. And in this "Twelve Seventy-Three" they manage to pack in pretty much everything, samples of a lot of different textures and instrumentations that appear throughout the body of their work as a whole. A good representative sample.






Since they just finished their tour, it doesn't seem like they have any dates coming back East soon. But here is the click to their Facebook page where you can follow them ::: Five Pound Snap on Facebook (CLICK HERE). And, to hear more of "White Birch Lakes" as well as some previous work, here is the click to their Soundcloud page ::: Five Pound Snap on Soundcloud (CLICK HERE). If you listen to the earlier music and do a comparison with White Birches, you can hear how the band's instrumentals have changed over the past few years, developing more depth and a fuller sound, all with a stronger yet smooth presentation.



No comments:

Post a Comment