Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Sep 26 : "Ambient Guitar to Tape" - Sam Seeger (New York)

New Music / Freshly Written & Recently Released (August 2018)

SUPERB DESIGN

NEWS ::: ::: ::: Sam Seeger has just published an ambient guitar video. Wow, this is a change from his normal hard-hitting rock. We normally see Sam with his band and hear him taking some swipes at the surveillance state. In addition to being a change in genre this video is also a change in that it's entirely instrumental. If I had been blindfolded, I never would have guessed that the artist in this piece was Sam; this is a true sign of his versatility.


I asked him about all this :::


Bob: What made you decide to do an ambient video?

Sam: My father needed some ambient music for a free APP he developed called GoView 360 Yoga.

Bob: Is this a singular exploration, or are you looking towards changing or expanding your genre? Bringing the other band members along with you on this exploration in the future?

Sam: I don’t think they’d be willing to come along on such a journey. But I am finishing up a new song with Rosie and Max that emerged out of an ambient loop. Planning on releasing that next month with a music video.

Bob: The latter part of the video includes a “tape” of the first portion? I see at about 2:26 you reach out to adjust the equipment but the music is still playing. Slide guitar? Is because of your hand contraption or is there a real thing called a slide guitar? Not familiar with this term.

Sam: I basically made a long ass loop and kept adding layers throughout the video, as my guitar ran through three amps—each with different effects trailing out. And it’s a regular old guitar—the “hand contraption” in question is the slide.

Bob: That’s all your artwork in the background?

Sam: A couple of the paintings are by me, the rest are by my mother Holly Whitstock Seeger, my aunt Mindy Seeger, as well as Max and Rosie. Each wall in my studio is completely covered with artwork by family and friends.

Bob: Are you aware that everything in that room appears to be angular? Only curved lines appear to be the curved stems of the stemmed-eyed monster in the pic to the left.

Sam: Haha—gets a little less angular on some of the other walls. Maybe they’ll be featured in the next in-studio video.

Sam: Thanks Bob!!

Bob: And thank you, Sam!








One of the things I find intriguing about Sam's videos is that they seem to be set in very interesting rooms. In looking at the room in this video, at first glance I see all the straight angles of the equipment, all crisp and clean, and then after a second look I see the more complex wall hangings and artwork. I had a similar reaction when I saw the room in his "Drumbeat of the Apocalypse" video, first noticing the square-windowed doors, and then, with a closer look, seeing the carpet's intricate patterns. When you watch Sam's videos, you not only get good music, but superb set design as well!

I've heard Sam and his band perform twice, once at Goldsounds in Bushwick and then more recently at Pianos in Manhattan, and I'm looking forward to hearing them again. While Sam doesn't have any shows planned in the next few weeks, here is the click to his web page where you can follow what he's doing ::: Sam Seeger's Web Page (CLICK HERE).

Family is very important to Sam, and it's truly unique that he always tries to bring along their participation in his efforts in one way or another. Here is the click to Aunt Mindy's art work. Mindy Seeger's art work. And his Mom also has a website. In addition to paintings, her artwork is commercial including graphic design and website design: Holly Whitstock Seeger's page. And brother Max has The Mayor Of Bad News, which is his own band. Sam and Rosie hope to join Max in some of his upcoming work to be released soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment