Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Jul 05 - "Tennessee Girl" - Current Blog Song

EXTRA SET


Over the weekend David and I went to see Levee Drivers at Johnny Brenda's. The band played several of their standards including a new and dirtier rendition of "Tennessee Girl", which is playing right here (this song featured July 5 & 6). The band has been playing their standards in a few different ways during their past few shows. It's ranged from very clean and crisp, which is the way the songs exist on their 2008 ep "Levee Drivers" to a more free-flowing version such as what I heard Friday.


Levee Drivers played first on Friday night followed by two other bands. I was happily surprised when Levee Drivers' recorded music was played over the speakers in between the second and third set. So I got to hear both versions of most of the songs.


Afterwards I was talking with August, front man for the group. He told me they were planning a new album but weren't yet seeing eye to eye among themselves about whether the new music or even new versions of the old music should be "dirty" or "clean and crisp". I like both, but I think I would vote for "dirty" (I don't know that they're actually asking listeners for feedback).


Levee Drivers will be doing two more shows soon, one at Tritone on July 16 and another at North Star (Victorian Dining Room series) on July 18. ... To visit the band in the meantime, here is the click ::::: Levee Drivers (CLICK HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment