Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Jan 22 : "Cash for Gold" - Writer (Brooklyn)

New Music / Freshly Written & Recently Released (October 2012)

THE KEY FOUNDATION

Last week one night after work I stopped off at Piano's to hear some music, and I saw a good show put on by Brooklyn band "Writer".

The band is a two-man outfit, with Tuesday's stage set up with the drummer on the left, and his brother (that's right, this is a brother team) on the right, alternating between keys and guitar.

Their music grabbed me right from the first moment with its unique arrangement. The first music they played that night featured the keys very loudly, I would even say almost blasting the bass line, with the vocals carrying the melody. I've heard keys carry the bass in other situations, but never in quite such a pronounced way where it lays a thundering foundation with nothing standing between it and the vocals. Nice! I didn't hear enough!

The band is very inventive in their arrangements and the sound somehow came across with more of a thrust than I expected to hear from a two-man team. I liked the show very much and I don't think any recordings could do justice to the sound that I heard last Tuesday night. But here is a sample of their music. The track is "Cash for Gold", and it is on the "Brotherface" album released in October. And it's playing right here on my blog page.








"Writer" is a team of two brothers, Andy and James Ralph. To hear more of the music on their Bandcamp page, here is the click ::: Writer (Click Here)



======================================
Feb 23 Update ::: Strangely enough, one of the next bands I saw live also had a new song out Another "Cash For Gold" (CLICK HERE)



No comments:

Post a Comment