Sunday, June 8, 2014

Jun 08 : "The Frenchman" - Joe Benjamin & A Mighty Handful (New York)

(( May 29-30 Mix & Match, Part 3 ))

Next band up at Pianos following Clear Plastic Masks was New York ensemble "Joe Benjamin & A Mighty Handful". That night there were twelve members in the act, and, if you've been to Pianos, I'm sure you can just imagine how tight a fit that was. Their sound filled the room.

This was my first time hearing a swing band live. I generally don't listen to that genre a whole lot. But I was happy I was able to hear this band. Joe Benjamin & A Mighty Handful has a great sound. Very crisp in presentation. And humor in the lyrics.

I don't see any samples of their music on Soundcloud, so to show you a sample, here's a video from YouTube. This is "The Frenchman". This was recorded at a live performance at Radio Bushwick.


===========================================
6/27/20 UPDATE! ::: OOPS! Looks like the music link and the band's web page itself have disappeared.
===========================================
Joe Benjamin & A Mighty Handful have another show coming up next week at Bowery Electric, on June 18. To visit their Facebook page in the meantime, here is the click :::

I saw several bands at different venues on my Mix & Match night, May 29 into the 30th. There was quite a range in styles. These three bands that I've featured over the last week in this and the previous two blog postings (Slothrust, Clear Plastic Masks) were my favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment