Wednesday, May 18, 2016

May 18 : "GRL" - Def.GRLS (Brooklyn)

A couple weeks ago I was looking for a full evening of good bands, and I came across listings for a new venue that I hadn't visited before. The venue is "Sunnyvale", and it's located in East Williamsburg, almost bordering on Bushwick. It was an interesting space: new fixtures in an older building. They had chalk in the unisex bathrooms so customers could get a head start on doing the requisite bathroom graffiti that every decent venue should have.

First up for the evening was Brooklyn outfit "Def.GRLS". From their Facebook page: "Def.GRLS is the love child of boyhood friends Mark Brickman and Craig Martinson and the surrogate mother to their rock n’ roll spawn, Hannah Teeter. Perpetually oscillating between the irreverent, macabre, hilarious and heartfelt, the gender and genre bending trio is impossible to pigeon hole."

Yes, they were impossible to pigeon hole except to say they were consistently fun to listen to. There wasn't any one genre, the music jumped around style to style. The music on their web page is smoother than what they played at Sunnyvale; the Sunnyvale music had a more solid bass and underpinning, and yes it did jump.

Here is the opening track of the bands album, titled "GRLS EP" that was released last Fall. The track is titled, "GRL". :::






If you would like to visit Def.GRLS, here is the click to their Facebook page ::: Def.GRLS on Facebook (CLICK HERE)

As to my visit to Sunnyvale Brooklyn, even though I was there on a busy Friday night, I didn't feel jammed in. I like the layout of the place; I know I'll be going back.



No comments:

Post a Comment