Wednesday, May 4, 2016

May 04 : "Me and Mrs. Jones" - Billy Paul (R.I.P.)

Philly Music!

Back in the day I used to listen to radio. Back in the day I even had a radio! I even listened to national acts as well as the major am and fm stations. My writeup today is to pay respect to the passing of a musician whose work I listened to back then. His name was Billy Paul, and in 1972 his music was all over the airwaves. He had a hit single, "Me and Mrs. Jones", which won him the Grammy for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance. Billy Paul died last week.

Here is a video of Billy Paul performing "Me and Mrs. Jones" on a segment of "Soul Train" :::






Billy Paul was one of the artists who worked with Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff at Philadelphia International Records (right here on Broad Street). Read their tribute to him Gamble and Huff tribute to Billy Paul

R.I.P., Billy Paul!



No comments:

Post a Comment