Thursday, February 21, 2019

Feb 21 : "TORn" - Shinner (New Jersey)

New Music / Freshly Written & Recently Released (Oct 2018)

PSYCHO GARAGE

I like garage rock, and I was happy to come across New Jersey band "Shinner" about a month ago. I was doing one of my weekly explorations of who next to go see live, cross-checking venue and band pages. After hearing Shinner's stylings and melodic lines, I knew I wanted to see them live. The only trouble was, when I first saw them listed, it was in connection with a show they they were going to be doing at The Meatlocker in Montclair. It was a late-starting show, and there's no way out of Montclair as late as they were going to be finishing: no trains or buses. So I decided I'd just have to keep an eye out for one of their future shows when they'd either be playing earlier or someplace else.

And that night came along this past week when they played at Newark's Index Art Center; went there after work. Shinner opened up and pumped up the evening with what they themselves tag as "psycho garage". The band is a two-piece, guitar and drums. They did a great show, and this was definitely the first time I EVER heard "psycho garage". Wow!

I also like the Index Art Center. I had a good time; it's a good venue; a good match for the band.

I spoke with the band afterwards and they told me that they're new; Shinner is about a year old. When I visit their Bandcamp page, I see a lot of work there, not only music but interesting graphics. Lots of distinctive melodic lines from song to song. An interesting collection for just a year!

From October, here is a new Shinner song, "TORn" :::






A little oddly, Shinner doesn't seem to have any presence on Facebook, so, to keep up with what they're doing / where they're playing, check out their Songkick page ::: Shinner on Songkick (CLICK HERE). (although this did not list The Meatlocker show). And, to check out some more of their great music, here is the click to their world on Bandcamp ::: Shinner on Bandcamp (CLICK HERE).



No comments:

Post a Comment