Sunday, July 7, 2019

Jul 07 : "LIme" - The Mary Veils (Philly)

Philly Music!

I think it was the spaced out fuzz that first drew me in. Only at the last minute did I find out about the Clark Park Music and Art Festival last Saturday. I had a little bit of free time that morning and early afternoon, so I checked out who would be playing, and then I saw on The Mary Veils' Soundcloud page The Mary Veils are a solo project created by Brian Von Uff. Hailing from Suburbs of Philadelphia, The Mary Veils are a surf rock, fuzz rock, and lo-fi psychedelic bathed in cool. That was good enough for me. With my limited amount of time, this was definitely the one band to see.

So I headed off to Clark Park.

As an outdoor show, there was room to walk around and to watch the band from different vantage points. And one thing I noticed at this show was an interesting effect with the speakers. At many shows you can hear most of the band through each of the speakers, but here it seemed almost like individual instruments were plugged into individual speakers.

This was my first time seeing the The Mary Veils, so I wanted to find out some more about them. I spoke with Brian Von Uff, mastermind of the band, for a few minutes after the show. He said that the outfit started out as a solo project, but it was only last year that it evolved into an actual multi-member band. The band has already played in a number of Philly's well-known venues, and they plan to release an album in the Fall, hopefully by Halloween.

The band played a lot of music that is also on their Soundcloud page. And they teased us with a few new songs that are going to be included on that new album coming this Fall. While the music on the Soundcloud page is spaced out fuzz, the instrumental stylings in the live show were slightly more clear-cut, and there was a little more force in the presentation. Great they did a long set. A rad show; want to hear them again.


It's interesting the way the band blends noise elements as part of the total mix. A lot of the songs have some noise at the intro, in varying degrees, and then the noise recedes back as the first verse of the song comes in, but, in many songs, still remains as an integral part of the background. So here's a good music sample from the band. This is the sixth track on their 2017 album, "Slacker Paint". The song is titled "Lime". :::



p.s... I've tweaked this writeup a few times. I think I've completed it now.



The Mary Veils doesn't have any shows coming up soon, but here is the click to their Facebook page where you can find out when they do! The Mary Veils on Facebook (CLICK HERE).



No comments:

Post a Comment