Monday, July 9, 2012

Jul 09 : "Heat" - Boyhood

(an antidote to the dry spell ... part 2)

So this is the second in the mini-series. To clarify what I mean by a "dry spell": It's going out to hear music, but, after hearing one band or so, not hearing enough other music at that same venue that will make me want to stay in their room for the whole evening. ... As a loyal fan of the bands that I love, I want to see their shows and support them whenever I can, but, as a customer of the venues, I would like to hear more interesting music than that one band after I've paid my cover charge. The past couple months I haven't heard any "bad" "other" bands, all have been proficient, but maybe it's been a little too heavy on the generic "same-old, same-old". I'm sure this dry spell will be temporary as others have been in the past.

Which brings us back to the great evening I had at Glasslands last Monday, where they packed in some very interesting bands in one evening. My previous blog was about the evening's opener, Graveyard Lovers. The next band up was Ottawa outfit "Boyhood".

"Boyhood" is the project of Caylie Runciman, who played guitar and did lead vocals at the show on Monday. It was a "family affair". Playing with her was her boyfriend, Luke Nuclear, on bass, and her younger brother, Callum Runciman, on drums.

Sounds like excellennt Garage to me. The performance was powerful. In seeing the live show and listening to her recorded music, I find Caylie's vocal range can be anywhere from mellow to fierce. At the live performance, the stylings tilted a little more towards the intense.

An example of some of her range within one song comes in the track "Heat", which she sang at the show and also happens to be the second track on the "Boyhood EP".








There are also some interesting harmonies in her work. Check out "Where I'm Going", which is the fourth track on the ep:::








To visit Boyhood on Bandcamp, here is the click ::: Boyhood on Bandcamp (CLICK HERE)

You may be surprised, as I certainly was, to find that BOYHOOD IS A SOLO PROJECT. Caylie's boyfriend and brother play with her only at live shows, but all the recordings are solo, Caylie's performance(s) alone. She started playing music long before she can remember. Here are some additional tracks done by Caylie, prior to her actually giving her outfit the name "Boyhood" about a year ago ::: Caylie Runciman on Soundcloud (CLICK HERE)

I have more antidotes to tell you about. Check back here in a few days! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment