Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jul 19 : "Shadows In the Dark" - Hollows

(an antiote to the dry spell ... part 4)

In the last few days I've realized that the "dry spell" may be coming to an end. I've seen some interesting lineups and listings for midweek shows that I can actually get to.

But, to complete the story about my trip to Glasslands the week before last, I have to tell you about the headliner that night, Chicago band "Hollows". While the first three bands had some women members, Hollows is almost an all-woman band, well, four out of five anyway. Four women out front with vocals, guitars, and keys, and a male drummer sitting in back.

Ths sound is somewhat retro. Here's a quote from a review that appears on their Facebook page. :::"There is plenty of spookiness in the band's dreamy sha-la-la. This mostly female group pulls together all the drama and tragedy of the Shangri-Las and mixes it with classic garage rock." ~Jessica Hopper, Chicago Tribune

A good sample of the "spookiness" can be heard in their song, "Shadows In the Dark", which is playing right here on my blog page :::
===========================================
6/27/20 UPDATE! ::: OOPS! Looks like the band's music and page have disappeared.
===========================================
To hear more of their organ-heavy music, here is the click :::

So I enjoyed the Hollows' show at Glasslands. It, as with the three bands that preceded it, were just the "antidote to the dry spell" that I needed. ... But now there seems to be a turn of the tide, and more interesting lineups are starting to appear. I'm just getting ready to go out to hear some more bands now. Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment