Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mar 09 : "River" - The Belle Game (Vancouver)

Went to Glasslands Gallery in Williamsburg a week ago Friday night and saw "The Belle Game", an exciting group from Vancouver. They were just starting a U.S. tour last week.

As I always do, I had listened (of course) to samples of the online music in order to pick where to go on my free night. And I liked what I heard when it came to Glasslands. I liked The Belle Game, their melodic lines and the styling.

But the recordings in no way prepared me for what I was to hear live on stage. While the music on the recordings hint at some strong vocals, the music on stage was WOW powerful. The force of Andrea Lo's voice was at once overwhelming, yet, the nuance of her styling made the music enveloping. An exciting experience.

The thing that stood out most about this performance was its vibrancy, not only due to Andrea Lo's voice, but also due to the way the performers interacted, or "didn't" interact. At times I felt that each of the performers were in their own world doing their own best shows oblivious to the others, and it was only by chance that it was all coming together. The performance just straddled enough on the edge of non-cohesiveness to keep me amazed and wondering, yet that was a major ingredient that just seemed to work right and help make the performance compelling.

One of the best recorded examples of Andrea Lo's powerhouse vocals is in the song "River", which is playing right here on my blog page :::




I don't know when The Belle Game will be coming back East or to the U.S., but I would say get on their list so you can find out! Here is the click ::: The Belle Game's website (CLICK HERE)



No comments:

Post a Comment