Thursday, August 6, 2015

Aug 06 : "IE" - Writer (Brooklyn)

I had to do some serious negotiations to get my doctor to allow me to go to work in NY on May 21 and then go to a concert afterwards. Foot surgery was to be on the agenda, but not right away. Don't even THINK about snitching on me. Hahahaha."

The music event I wanted to go to that night was a show by Brooklyn band Writer. They were playing at Bowery Electric. Writer consists of brothers Andy and James Ralph. I had seen them play once before at Pianos and was eager to see another show. For the May 21 show they were a team of three; I don't know if the trio is a permanent change.

The style on stage had changed since I saw them last: more haze, more fuzz. Very often music that's characterized by haze and fuzz can be very laid back, but Writer's haze and fuzz was presented with the same force and thrust as the music I heard them play at Pianos back in January. Beyond that, with the new band member, the arrangements were quite different. The keys were less prominent than they had been back at Pianos in 2013.

Playing here right now on my blog page is "EI", which is the first track on their now sold out 7"lacquer recording, "I Make Neon".






Writer doesn't have any upcoming events listed on their page. In the meantime, here is the link to their Tumblr page ::: Writer on Tumblr (CLICK HERE). And here is he click to the writeup about their previous show that I attended: Writer at Pianos on Jan 22 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment