Sunday, August 16, 2015

Aug 16 : "'sundown' (Gordon Lightfoot) unmastered" - Wreaths (Asbury Park)

Not often is the "new" version or the cover of a song better than the original, but this is one of those rare exceptions. The song is Asbury Park band Wreath's version of "Sundown". The original was done by Gordon Lightfoot in 1974. I was around then :) and I remember the original. I heard it often.

But Wreaths' version has the original beat, especially with the atmospheric instrumental background. This version was recorded at Big Blue North Studio in Utica, NY, last year (Feb 2014).




Wreaths was the second band I heard when I went to Bowery Electric back on May 21 (am behind in my writing after surgery. Don't snitch on me; Dr. knew I was going there). It was my first time hearing them. This was one of those situations where I had gone to see a different band but heard this band for the first time and liked them as well. A double payoff! The band generously gave me one of their new cd's; the new album is also titled "Wreaths". I've been listening to it and like it, but I keep going back to their Soundcloud page where they have "Sundown". I hope that makes it onto one of their cd's soon.

If you'd like to keep tabs on Wreath's concert schedule, here is the click to their Facebook page ::: Wreaths (CLICK HERE)".



No comments:

Post a Comment