Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Jan 30 : "My Room" - Shower Thoughts (Brooklyn)

New Music / Freshly Written & Recently Released (July 2018)

DAMAGED BUT SAFE

A couple weeks ago I went to Mercury Lounge and saw Brooklyn band "Shower Thoughts" do a show. It was the first time I had seen them.I liked the show a lot.

The music is eclectic with jazz stylings, very smooth when I listened to them on line, but with more sharpness in the mixing when I heard them live. Also the components come together in a very nice cohesive blend on the recorded music on line, but when I heard them live, each of the instruments and the vocals were more assertive on their own and I was more aware of the artists as individuals. On their Bandcamp page, they define themselves as: "Shower Thoughts is a five-piece, Brooklyn-based band that draws influence from hip hop, jazz, and indie music to synthesize fresh sounds for the modern age.".

The song talks about one's room as a place to retreat, a safe place where you can be yourself and not have to prove anything to anybody, a place where you can let your guard down.

While we don't know for sure, it seems that the song's character may be retreating into his room after a rocky road in a relationship. At first he seems aggravated, but the solace in his room helps him to mellow out. Lots of precision in the lyrics. Look at the nuances in the changes of emotions as the song's character reflects on the relationship:
I don’t need you

I don’t think I need you

I don’t wanna need you

I think I’ll be fine

Inside My room

Here is "My Room" from the 2018 "Shower Thoughts EP" :::






But then the door opens! What happens after the door is opened and peace is disrupted? .. After the show I commented a little jokingly to the band about not knowing the final outcome. They said it was "open to interpretation".

While Shower Thoughts doesn't have any other shows coming up soon, I strongly recommend you check out their Facebook page, where you can keep an eye on what they'll be doing next. ::: Shower Thoughts on Facebook (CLICK HERE).



No comments:

Post a Comment